The Severn Valley Railway is home to one of Britain’s largest
carriage collections in heritage railway preservation with over sixty
working vehicles, all of which are historically important, and the oldest
being over 100 years old.
It is easy to overlook the beauty and unique nature of the carriages
as you make your journey along the line, but take time to sit back and
appreciate the painstaking work that been undertaken to restore these
vehicles to their original condition.
Here is a little help to assist you in identifying our carriages:
Usually but not always chocolate and cream in colour. Look out for the
GWR monogram on the coach sides and the raised panelling and lining.
Some of these carriages have small ‘top light’ windows above the main
windows. These are our oldest vehicles.
Above: Examples of Ex GWR carriages in the stylish chocolate and cream livery.
Ex-London Midland & Scottish
Built pre- and post-World War II, the SVR uniquely has a complete
working train of LMS carriages. These coaches are shorter in length than
other members of the fleet and sport maroon livery.
Above: In attractive lined maroon livery, these Ex LMS carriages look fine behind an LMS engine such as 43106.
Ex-London & North Eastern
Dating from 1922, the SVR is proud to run Britain’s longest
restored LNER teak train; these are the only
carriages on the line to have varnished-teak panelled exteriors. In
their heyday such carriages were used on mainline trains from London to
Norwich & East Anglia, Leeds, York, Sheffield, Manchester,
Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Fort William and Aberdeen. All the
carriages in this set were designed by Sir Nigel Gresley.
The project to create a complete ‘Gresley Teak Train’ began in the early
1970s, and there are now nine carriages in this fleet. Up to eight of
these will normally form the public train, and the ninth one is a Kitchen Restaurant Car
for special use and private hire. All nine restorations – many rescued
from serious dilapidation – have been undertaken by volunteers raising
the necessary finance privately. As with all our coaches, none of the
original restoration costs are met by train fares.
Above: Teak at its most attractive. Left a 'Corridor Composite' Carriage, our oldest GNR (LNER) carriage built in 1922. Centre & right: 'Kitchen Composite' Carriage No. 7960 external and internal.
Developed after nationalisation in 1948 and building on the best design practices of the pre-nationalisation 'Big Four' group of railway operating companies, we have examples of vehicles
from the 1950s and 1960s, some in early carmine and cream (‘blood &
custard’) livery and others in the later maroon. In line with railway
policy in the later part of the 20th century, these carriages are
occasionally finished in GWR-style chocolate and cream livery.
These carriages, although similar on the outside, were built with a range of interiors intended for different uses, e.g. dining and kitchen cars, sleeping carriages and high-capacity day vehicles.
Above: Examples of our Mark 1 carriages in carmine and cream livery (blood and custard!).
Click here to visit our photo gallery