Last Days of Steam
We jointly commemorate the 50th anniversary of the final days of steam on British Railways with Kidderminster Railway Museum.
Click here to book Saturday: Timetable B
On August 4th 1968, British Railways ran its last timetabled mainline steam service. On that day 50 years ago, two of our own engines were in operation: Black 5 No. 45110 and 8f No. 48773, and in 2018 we'll be looking back at that fateful day.
- Black 5 No. 45110 and 8F No. 48773 on display at Kidderminster in Platform 2 - making a rare appearance outside The Engine House at Highley. You'll be able to visit the cabs of both engines.
- Frequent service of steam and diesel trains, including Black 5 No. 45231 The Sherwood Forester (subject to availability) and 'Flying Pig' No. 43106 hauling service trains. No. 43106 celebrating 50 years on the Railway, having arrived on August 2nd 1968.
- Unmissable photo opportunities with both Black 5s.
- Photography exhibition showcasing images from the last days of steam in Kidderminster Railway Museum.
- Launch of
the book 'Transition' – this is the latest
book of photographs by Colin T Gifford, widely recognised as one of most
important and influential photographers of the period. The well-known photographer will host a book signing from 10am - 4pm.
- Members of the Master Neverers Association reenacting the cleaning of No. 45110 and No. 48773 from 12.30pm.
- Gathering of footplate crews from August 4th 1968:
Lostock Hall and Rose Grove sheds who were
actively involved in the final days of steam, including the man who dropped the
fire of No. 45110 after it had worked the very last train on August 11th.
- Both the Master Neverers Association and former footplate crews will be on hand to inspire you with their memories of steam on British Railways.
- Saturday evening 'Fifteen Guinea Special' recreation (additional charge applies).
- Trade and memorabilia stands.
- Vintage vehicles on display in the station forecourt.
- 1960s built locomotives on the Coalyard Miniature Railway.
All attractions are subject to availability.
|Pre-book & save
|On the day
| Other information
|Annual Family Pass valid. Children: 4 - 15 years, Family: 2 adults + 2, 3 or 4 children, Seniors: 60+.
To qualify for 'pre-book & save' prices these tickets
must be purchased at least five working days in advance of your visit.
Tickets may also be purchased at the same price by calling 01562 757900
(option 1). These tickets are not available for purchase from booking
offices in advance.
All pre-booked tickets are subject to a £1.75 booking fee.
These tickets include FREE admission to The Engine House, our Visitor Centre at Highley.
TICKETS WILL BE DISPATCHED BY POST.
Share this page: