BR Riddles 4MT 80079

Built 

1954

Type

BR Riddles 4MT

Length

60ft 0″

Weight

67t 18cwt

Status

At The Engine House

80079 was one of 155 2-6-4 tanks built to the B.R. standard design, and constructed at Derby, Doncaster and Brighton between 1951 and 1956.

It was completed at Brighton in March 1954, and was based at Tilbury, Essex, for eight years for use on passenger trains from London Fenchurch Street to Shoeburyness, on the Thames Estuary.

80079 was involved in the Dagenham East accident of January 30th 1958, when it collided at 25 m.p.h. with the rear of the preceding train in thick fog. Despite the impact, 80079 suffered relatively little damage and was soon repaired.

In June 1962, these services were electrified, and 80079 was reallocated to Croes Newydd depot, Wrexham, and worked over the Cambrian system from Oswestry to Welshpool, Machynlleth, Aberystwyth and Pwllheli, as well as from Wrexham Central to Chester Northgate and New Brighton. In common with other Wrexham locomotives, 80079 was seen on the Severn Valley line between August 1962 and closure in September 1963, so is a Severn Valley loco in more ways than one! Passenger service closures and dieselisation finally overtook 80079, and it was withdrawn in July 1965, and sold for scrap to Woodham Brothers at Barry Dock, Glamorgan.

In 1971, 80079 was bought from Woodhams by the ‘Passenger Tank Fund’, and moved by rail to Bridgnorth. After a comprehensive restoration, it entered Severn Valley service on 16th April 1977.

It has also seen service on several railtours on BR and participated in the ‘Rocket 150’ celebrations at Rainhill in May 1980.

It has been out of service since 2002, and has been in the Engine House at Highley since it opened in 2008.

Visit The Engine House to see BR Riddles 4MT 80079

Make a trip to The Engine House a part of your next journey