Greenly Pacific No.7 ‘Typhoon’

Built 

1927

Type

Greenly 4-6-2

Length

27ft 7″

Weight

8t 10cwt

Status

At The Engine House

Typhoon normally runs on the 15 in gauge Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway (RH&DR), which operates from Hythe to Dungeness in Kent.

Based on the Henry Greenly-designed Pacifics that were already at the railway; Green Goddess, Northern Chief and Southern Maid. Typhoon differed when built in that she had three cylinders. The railway’s founder and owner, Captain J E P Howey, craved more power and ultimately speed from his locomotives and the three cylinder route was experimented with on this engine and her sister No.8, Hurricane.

Before being delivered to New Romney in 1927, Typhoon posed for publicity photographs next to Flying Scotsman at Kings Cross, London – a real little and large! With increase running costs and many breakdowns with three cylinders, Typhoon was converted to a more conventional two-cylinder configuration in 1935.

A new large capacity tender was built for her in 1946, in 1955 the smoke deflectors were fitted and in 1958 she received a superheated boiler. Typhoon is fitted with a whistle from one of the Southern Railway Bulleid-designed ‘West Country’ class locomotives.

She has been on display at the Engine House since March 2019, and makes an interesting contrast to her somewhat bigger neighbours there!

See Typhoon at The Engine House

Make a trip to The Engine House a part of your next journey