GWR Pannier 5764

Built 

1938

Type

GWR 5700

Length

31ft 2″

Weight

47t 10cwt

Status

At The Engine House

No. 5764 is a member of the same class as 7714, though it has a very different history! Unlike 7714, it was built at Swindon, and entered traffic in June 1929. In G.W.R. and B.R. ownership, it spent its working life in the London area, being based at Old Oak Common depot, where it was used on empty coaching stock workings into Paddington terminus, and trip freight and shunting work in the West London area.

In February 1960, 5764 was sent to Wolverhampton Stafford Road works for heavy repair, and upon return to London in May, was sold to London Transport Executive. Now renumbered L95, the engine remained a ‘Londoner’, working permanent way and engineering trains on the Underground system, mostly during the hours of darkness, but with daytime duties working the ‘rubbish train’ to Watford refuse tip. During this period, the engine was based variously at Neasden or Lillie Bridge, Kensington.

During 1970, the S.V.R. Kidderminster Branch set up a fund to purchase one of the three remaining pannier tanks in L.T. service, and their bid was successful. L95 was brought by road from Neasden to Bridgnorth on 19th June 1971; it was used in L.T. livery for its first operating season on the SVR, before being restored to G.W.R. livery in 1972. It has since been used on passenger and freight services along the Severn Valley, recalling the 35-year period when such engines were a regular sight on the line.

Like most of our locos, it has had several periods out of service awaiting overhaul, and was last in service in January 2011. It then had a period of display in The Engine House, followed by storage in Kidderminster Carriage Shed, before moving to the Engine House again in 2018.

During 2018 it moved to Bridgnorth for a cosmetic repaint into its LT guise as L95, and returned to the Engine House in March 2019.  In 1972, when it was repainted into GWR livery, it is doubtful if anyone ever expected it to become L95 again!

It is now owned by the SVR Pannier Tank Fund.

See GWR Pannier 5764 at The Engine House

Make a trip to The Engine House a part of your next journey