LMR 600 Gordon

Built 

1943

Type

WD Austerity 2-10-0

Length

58ft 10¼”

Weight

94t 9cwt

Status

At The Engine House

During the Second World War, an ‘Austerity’ version of the Stanier 8F 2-8-0 was produced under the direction of Mr. R. A. Riddles for the Ministry of Supply, and the ‘WD’ 2-8-0 class eventually totalled 935 locos. To enable operation on lightly-laid track, a 2-10-0 type of similar specification was introduced, and 150 examples were built, all by the North British Locomotive Company at Glasgow. The middle driving wheels were flangeless, whilst the second and fourth drivers were shallow-flanged. The 2-10-0s had wide fireboxes, and were equipped with rocking grates.

600 was the second of a class to be built, and was completed in December 1943.

25 of the 2-10-0s were later taken into B.R. stock, but Gordon stayed with the Army, being used for instructional purposes at the Longmoor Military Railway in Hampshire, and was one of the few of the type not to serve overseas. It was originally painted khaki brown, followed by army green, and latterly blue with red lining, red frames and white wheel tyres.

Longmoor closed in 1969, and the Army asked the Transport Trust if it could provide a suitable home for the locomotive. The SVR was deemed the most suitable place for the engine’s active future, and 600 was fully restored to operating condition at Bridgnorth.

As well as being used on SVR passenger trains, it travelled to Shildon in 1975 and Rainhill in 1980 for the anniversary celebrations held there at the time.

Gordon last steamed in 1999, and has been on display in the Engine House since it opened in 2008. It was formally handed over to the SVR in the same year, and is now owned by the SVR Holdings company.

Although the name ‘Gordon’ is well-known to devotees of the Thomas stories, locos at Longmoor were mostly actually named after officers in the Royal Engineers, in this case General Charles Gordon!

See Gordon at The Engine House

Make a trip to The Engine House a part of your next journey