LMS Jinty 47383

Built 

1926

Type

Fowler 3F ‘Jinty’

Length

31ft 4¾”

Weight

49t 10cwt

Status

At The Engine House

The London Midland and Scottish Railway’s ‘standard shunting tank locomotive’ of 1924 was developed from a similar Midland Railway Derby design of 1899, which was itself a development of basic 0-6-0s from the earliest days of Britain’s railways. The concept was sound and 422 of the LMS locomotives were built until 1930, some by the LMS itself, but most by outside contractors during the depression period.

Such a locomotive was our ‘Jinty’, as these engines were known amongst enthusiasts and not a few railwaymen. It was constructed for the LMS by the Vulcan Foundry at Newton-le-Willows, Lancashire. It entered service in October 1926 as No. 16466, attaining the number 7383 in July 1935. It was initially allocated to Devons Road depot, at Bow in East London, and was one of a large number of these engines used on shunting duties and transfer freight trains to many parts of London. The engines were also used to power suburban passenger trains from Broad Street terminus to the ‘Northern Heights’.

In March 1928, the engine moved away from the London District to Liverpool Edge Hill, followed by Mold Junction, near Chester, and  Chester itself where it remained  for just over thirty years; this was followed  somewhat unusually by the former North British Railway depot at Carlisle (Canal), until its closure in June 1963, Rose Grove depot at Burnley and Newton Heath depot, Manchester.

It was withdrawn from service in late 1966, but B.R. management found that there were insufficient suitable shunting locomotives remaining to work at Williamthorpe Colliery, Chesterfield; these N.C.B. sidings were worked by B.R. locos under an ancient agreement. Accordingly, 47383 was reinstated and allocated to Westhouses depot, where it was spare engine for four other ‘Jinties’. When these engines fell by the wayside, 47383 ‘soldiered on’ through the summer of 1967. Quick renewal of poor track at the colliery resulted in diesel replacements entering service in September of that year, but 47383 was retired two weeks before the end of steam, requiring new boiler tubes and a boiler hydraulic test.

The idea of purchasing a Jinty was first mooted in 1966 by a group of Manchester enthusiasts. The Manchester Rail Travel Society was formed to organise railtours to raise funds for the purchase of a ‘Jinty’, and a link with the emergent SVR was formed. Considerably aided by large donations from several enthusiasts, 47383 was bought in November 1966, and in May 1967 it travelled by road from Blackwell ‘A’ Winning Colliery to Bridgnorth.

After lengthy renovation, No. 47383 was steamed for the first time in preservation on 4th September 1973, following which it was restored to B.R. livery, and put into traffic on passenger services, being quite a regular performer when loads were lighter.

It last steamed in 2002, and has been on display at the Engine House since its opening in 2008.

Visit The Engine House to see LMS Jinty 47383

Make a trip to The Engine House a part of your next journey