Work for Us
Want to work for one of the UK’s leading heritage railways? We’ve got a variety of roles across all areas of the Severn Valley Railway from office-based work, engineering roles, entry level positions and flexible-hour jobs
We’re always looking for good people to work for the Railway, so keep checking back to see what we’re recruiting for.
The Severn Valley Railway’s Carriage Department, with a running fleet of over 60 heritage carriages, is looking for somebody who is both enthusiastic & skilled to join our experienced Carriage and Wagon Mechanical Maintenance Team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To carry out mechanical examination maintenance, overhaul and repair of heritage coaching stock to a high standard and to meet the SVR SMS, reporting to Carriage Mechanical Team Leader.
- Demonstrate continual awareness of SVR health and safety policies ensuring all staff adhere to this. Challenge unsafe behaviour. Raise awareness of issues via Safety Forums, Senior Management and/or H&S Management team as appropriate.
- To work within a team environment, but on occasion work on your own initiative.
- Assist in the production and upkeep of carriage maintenance records.
Supervision of fitter’s mates, junior fitter machinists, apprentices and where necessary, overseeing their work for quality and safety compliance.
- Assist with the identification and closure of gaps in training and competency levels of apprentices, junior staff and occasionally staff from other heritage railways.
- Maintain a safe work place and carry out all work safely adhering to SVR H&S policies.
- Assist with driving cost savings, process improvements and systems to improve productivity.
Reporting to the Kidderminster Catering Manager, overseeing the Management of The King & Castle Kitchen.
This Role will require the individual to deliver a homemade Traditional/Contemporary bistro style menu. We are looking for someone to take ownership of the kitchen management of this venue, including food safety. You will be required to deliver high quality food, whilst developing and planning site-based events at The King & Castle pub with the Kidderminster Catering Manager, via the introduction of new revenue streams. Your role will require you to work closely with the Executive Head Chef to develop and improve menu offerings.
This is a full time, permanent 40 hours per week role that will include some weekend and out of office hours working when required.
Reporting to the relevant unit management team you and your colleagues will be responsible for delivering friendly, efficient customer service and create a warm and welcoming atmosphere to all of our visitors. Flexibility, adaptability and attention to detail is key as our operating procedures can alter to fit with the day to day challenges of operating a heritage attraction.
Candidates will need to be passionate about food and food service, proficiency in food preparation is not essential as full training will be given, alongside the opportunity to develop skills essential to any chef. This role will include access to a pool of expertly crafted recipes with live demonstrations and training given from our senior professional chef team.
Various working patterns available- the position is seasonal in order to support the SVR’s running and events calendar
Reporting to the relevant unit management team you and your colleagues will be responsible for delivering friendly, efficient customer service and create a warm and welcoming atmosphere to all of our visitors. Flexibility, adaptability and attention to detail is key as our operating procedures can alter to fit with the day to day challenges of operating a heritage attraction and duties could be anything from seating customers, table service, food and beverage preparation or cleaning high touch areas, tables and kitchen areas.
Various working patterns available at various sites including
- The King and Castle, Kidderminster
- The Valley Suite, Kidderminster
- Severn Valley Railway On Train Dining Experiences
- Bewdley Buffet
- Highley Engine House Café and Restaurant
- Bridgnorth Buffet
- Railwayman’s Arms, Bridgnorth
Pop up sites as and when required
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a vibrant team, working to fund vital projects for the Severn Valley Railway, one of the UK’s most popular heritage railways. Now is a great time to come on board as it’s the Charitable Trust’s 10th anniversary year and there are a host of great events, appeals and campaigns that you will be instrumental in helping to deliver successfully.
If you’re a natural at building great relationships with stakeholders and donors, inspiring people to give, and love getting hands-on with activities, this is the perfect role for you. You don’t need extensive knowledge of railways as you’ll learn quickly when you join us.
You will be responsible for leading and developing the giving team, who are in paid and volunteer roles, using your extensive fundraising experience and a passion for making a difference to develop a new giving strategy, strengthen relationships with donors and grow income so the Trust can support the railway with vital projects now and into the future.